Burlington High School is pleased to announce that it has been named an Apple Distinguished School for 2012/2013. BHS joins 87 schools that Apple is recognizing nationwide as exemplary learning environments and centers of inovation, leadership, and educational excellence.
The Apple Distinguished School designation is reserved for schools that have demonstrated Apple’s highest vision of a successful 21st century learning environment. The selection of BHS as an Apple Distinguished School highlights its successes in enhancing and extending teaching and learning with thoughtful and innovative implementations of technology.
Schools nominated by Apple for designation as an Apple Distinguished School must demonstrate Apple’s highest vision of a successful 21st century learning environment, a strong relationship with Apple, and a willingness to do outreach activities. The specific manifestations of these qualities include:
- School demonstrates “best practice” qualities of 21st century learning environment
- Visionary leadership
- An infrastructure (IT) that supports a blended learning environment
- Engaging teaching and learning methods that capitalize on the qualities of today’s students who are mobile, collaborative and creative
- One-to-one access to portable computers and/or mobile access devices for all teachers and students
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- A systematic approach and ongoing process for evaluation and assessment of results for education improvement and sustainability
Thank you to all the staff and students of Burlington High and the greater community of Burlington! It is because of the tremendous talent we have on staff, the quality and character of our students, and the commitment to the young people in Burlington that BHS was able to receive this distinction.